At Oral Dynamics all our directly placed restorations are resin based composites. We have used this material exclusively for over 25 years.
For years there has been debate about the safety of silver-mercury amalgam fillings. Even though it has not been shown scientifically that amalgam is harmful, we have chosen not to use it because we believe better alternatives exist.
Why are Composite Restorations Preferred?
- They are more esthetic (obviously)
- They are more conservative (amalgam requires removal of more tooth structure so the filling will stay in the hole)
- They are bonded to the tooth structure (increasing strength)
- They can be repaired (amalgam must be completely removed)
- They are fully hardened when placed (no breaking of soft amalgam when checking bite)
- They can be shaped to mimic the contours of natural teeth (YES! we actually do that here at Oral Dynamics! – We don’t just “plop” them in!)